Maid in Akihabara, Tokyo
Akihabara (秋葉原), also called Akiba after a former local shrine, is a district in central Tokyo that is famous for its many electronics shops. In more recent years, Akihabara has gained recognition as the center of Japan’s otaku (diehard fan) culture, and many shops and establishments devoted to anime and manga are now dispersed among the electronic stores in the district.
Maid cafes are themed restaurants where guests are served by waitresses that are typically dressed as French maids. In addition to serving food, the maids engage in conversation and games with the customers and ‘apparently’, treat them with the care and respectful language due to the master of a house.
If you want a genuinely bizarre experience and a very expensive drink/meal, this may be for you.
Tokyu Plaza Omotesando Harajuku
Hall of Mirrors
The mirrored entrance to Tokyu Plaza in the Shibuya district provides a perfect opportunity to create fragmented images of people as they walk by this busy shopping area. Multiple reflections overlap, merge and intersect like a giant kaleidoscope or contemporary Cubist image. I was mesmerised by the constellation of shapes as bodies appeared, disappeared and reappeared in a constant swirl of motion.
Business man in Gion, Kyoto
Shinbashi-dori street in Gion district 0 in Kyoto
It was dark and raining in Shinbashi-dori street in Gion and umbrellas appeared instantly.
Street Fashion: Shinjuku, Tokyo,
See below for 2016 style chart….must be one of those………maybe
- Gothic Lolita – is Lolita with a heavy influence from the Eastern and Victorian Goth style. Often characterized by dark colors, crosses, bats and spiders, as well as other popular gothic ‘icons’. Victorian iron gates and architectural designs are also often seen in dress prints. Skirts are usually worn knee length with petticoats beneath for volume. Blouses or shirts are lace-trimmed or ruffled in the Victorian style. Knee length socks with boots, bonnets, brooches, and a parasol finish out this style of Lolita.
- Sweet Lolita – is the most childlike style, mostly characterized by baby animals, fairy tale themes and innocent, childlike attire. It was originally inspired by Victorian children’s clothing and Alice in Wonderland. Hello Kitty, Rilakkuma and other cute pop culture characters are popular among the Sweet lolitas. Pastel colors are used, as well as other muted colors like black and dark reds and blues. Large headbows, cute purses, elegant parasols and stuffed animals are popular accessories for Sweet Lolita.
- Punk Lolita – An experimental style, mixing the influences of Punk with Lolita. It can sometimes look deconstructed or crazy, while keeping most of the ‘Lolita silhouette’.
- Classic Lolita is very traditional. It is more business-like and focuses on light colors such as, blue, green, and red.
- Kodona, a.k.a. ‘boystyle’ and ouji, is a more masculine counterpart of lolita, influenced by Victorian boys’ clothing. ‘Prince pants’, which are short capri-style pants that are cut off the knee, usually with some sort of detail (such as lace-edged cuffs) are commonly worn with masculine blouses, top hats, knee socks etc
A street near Shinjuku Station, Tokyo
Serving as the main connecting hub for rail traffic between Tokyo’s special wards and Western Tokyo on inter-city rail, commuter rail, and metro lines, the station was used by an average of 3.64 million people per day in 2007, making it, by far, the world’s busiest transport hub (and registered as such with Guinness World Records). The station itself has 36 platforms, including an underground arcade, above ground arcade and numerous hallways. There are well over 200 exits. Another 17 platforms (51 total) can be accessed through hallways to 5 directly connected stations without surfacing outside.
War is Over, If You Want It!
People walking towards the peace memorial in central Hiroshima 27th May 2016, during the visit of American President Barack Obama.
On 25 July 1945, General Carl Spaatz, commander of the United States Strategic Air Forces in the Pacific, received orders to deliver a “special bomb” attack on selected cities in Japan.The first target city chosen was Hiroshima, which had an important port on southern Honshu and was headquarters of the Japanese Second General Army with 40,000 military personnel in the city. The bomb was assembled in secrecy and loaded on the Enola Gay. It consisted of a uranium isotope 235 core shielded by hundreds of kilograms of lead. Little Boy possessed a force equivalent to 12,500 tons of TNT. The plane dropped the bomb over the city at 8:15:17 a.m. local time on 6 August 1945. Within 43 seconds of being dropped, the bomb detonated over the city.
Fuji X100S: f4, 1/125, ISO 1600 Fuji Mono Red Filter